A healthy life depends on how good you feel about yourself and how healthy your mind and body is. Especially in this era of competition, a healthy mindset & well-being brings a huge impact. Proteins are necessary for the overall growth and development of an individual. Everyone, from children to adults and the elderly requires proteins to stay healthy.
Children especially tend to miss out on essential nutrients due to their picky eating habits. As a result, their daily required intake is compromised. A lot of parents have therefore started banking on protein shakes as the best health drink for a child to supplement nutrition. A good protein shake does make a healthy drink for kids as it has several benefits to offer.
Importance of protein shakes
There are a lot of misconceptions about the use of protein shakes. Many associate protein shakes as a means to artificially stimulate growth and muscle development. However, that is not the case, especially when we are talking about having a healthy drink for kids.
But in reality, they are one of the best health drinks for child growth as they come enriched with the goodness of proteins that are the building blocks of our body. Protein drinks are available as powdered consumables that can be mixed with milk or water to make tasty drink children love to have.
When you are buying a protein shake for your child remember that they are a rich source of proteins and offer several benefits. Therefore they must be appropriately included in the diet to make the most of them.
Some benefits of proteins are:
- Proteins are required for growth & development
- They help in the formation of normal cell structure and function
- They promote muscle & tissue growth
- They aid in recovery & repair of the tissues in muscles, skin, hair, etc.
- They help in the production of haemoglobin, aiding in the transportation of oxygen to various body organs
- Proteins are beneficial in the development of the immune system and performing body functions
- They fulfil the energy needs of the body
Types of Protein shakes to consider while buying
There are numerous protein shakes for kids in the market today but broadly they are categorised into three types. These are –
● Whey Protein Shakes: Whey is considered to be the best source of making a healthy drink for kids as it is the best protein supplement for children. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids required for your child’s growth and development. This protein derived from cow’s milk is suited for small children as well as teens.
● Casein Protein Shakes: Casein is another milk-derived protein but is a less popular variety since it lacks some amino acids. Casein is comparatively harder to digest, thus, provides sustained energy for long hours. Therefore, it is best for children who are active in sports and physical activities, although not better than whey.
● Soy Protein Shakes: Soy protein is a go-to-option for vegans since the other two protein shakes are milk-derived. Also, it is a perfect fit for Lactose-intolerant children who are unable to digest milk proteins. Since the Soy protein shakes are easily digestible, they are a convenient choice for such an audience.
Gritzo has a great range of some of the best health drinks for child growth. You can pick the most suitable variant depending upon your child’s age and needs. Its SuperMilk Active Kids is suitable for 4-7-year-olds, whereas the SuperMilk Young Athletes is ideal for preteens in the 8-12-year bracket. Gritzo also has a great protein health drink for teens to meet their growing nutritional needs and support muscle building, especially in highly active children. These are the SuperMilk Teen Athletes. It works best for children above the age of 13 years. The chocolate flavour of the drink is an all-time favourite.
Undoubtedly, protein supplements are becoming a trend these days. Not only do they help in numerous ways to achieve nutrition goals, but they also fulfil the energy needs of the body. Sticking to the recommended dosage is vital. As anything in excess leads to more damage than benefits, it is essential to control the intake of protein. Do consult with a physician before including the supplements in your child’s diet to avoid any undesirable effects.