Tips for choosing materials for facade decoration
Choosing facade cladding materials for your home – here are some tips on product, cost, and durability.
Applying wood siding for wall cladding pros and cons
Pros of wood siding:
- Looks great in traditional home furnishings
- Environmentally friendly material
- High thermal efficiency
- Resistant to negative temperatures
Cons of wood siding:
- not the most reliable choice to protect your home from bad weather
- not the best way to resist fire
- With the wrong choice of materials and quality of installation, it can be susceptible to damage from insects and rodents, as well as mold and rot from moisture.
Cost: from 300 to 1000 rubles per square meter, depending on the type of tree, style and complexity of the work. Service life: 40 to 55 years Note: There are companies that offer pre-painted wood products. There are multiple coats of paint on both sides, so your job is to simply cut it, paint the ends, and install.
If you’d rather paint your siding yourself, it will be much easier if you do it on the ground before installation. This will require significant painting space as well as drying space.
Composite wood for the facade pros and cons
Composite wood refers to the recycling of waste wood into usable products. Small chips and sawdust can be steam-pressed into a very close resemblance to textured wood siding, including the addition of realistic looking “grain.”
Pros of composite wood:
- Installation can actually be easier than regular wood due to the lack of knots to deal with
- Ease of installation
Cons of composite wood:
- Composite wood faces the same challenges as conventional wood in terms of performance and risk.
- Although the use of raw materials effectively eliminates, pollution in the production process is higher than that of wood raw materials.
- Cost: from 500 to 1500 rubles per square meter.
- Life expectancy: 25 years or older.
Wooden shingles or shingles for the facade pros and cons
The wood used for shingles is larch or cedar, usually used outdoors because it is very resistant to decay. In the absence of disease, its lifespan does not depend as much as other types of wood, but the appearance is definitely yes. The wood will turn gray when exposed to weather and ultraviolet rays. Therefore, the required finish largely depends on your taste.
Advantages of wooden tiles for the facade:
- Wood is a natural product
- Ability to use shorter pieces of wood for more complex facades
- If you like the look of the “gray” cedar, then you can avoid painting this material.
- High resistance to weather conditions
Cons of wood tiles for the facade:
- Very expensive material
- Time consuming to install
- If you do not like the look of gray cedar, then, like all wood products, it will require regular repainting, staining or priming.
Cost: depending on the size of the tile and the cost of the breed, it can start from 2000 rubles / m2
Service life: about 50 years, significantly longer with treated tiles and correct installation.
Wall cladding with brick and stone
Pros of wall cladding with bricks and stones:
Very low running costs and excellent performance
Brick and stone are weather resistant and virtually invulnerable to pests, insects, mold and fire.
Cons of wall cladding with bricks and stones:
- As for bricks and finished stone products, their main disadvantage is cost.
- Additional load on the foundation
Expected service life: from 50 years.
Plaster for the facade of the house pros and cons
Plaster refers to a thin layer of cement that is applied to exterior walls.
Pros of facade plaster:
- Works well against pests and rodents; cost
- Fairly resistant to fire
Cons of facade plaster:
- Poor weather resistance
- Difficult to apply
- Maintenance required
Cost: from 200 to 600 rubles per square meter.
Life expectancy: 50-75 years.
Acrylic siding for facade pros and cons
Acrylic siding materials are composed of concrete, fiberglass and polystyrene. Suppliers sometimes claim that they also add insulators in addition to siding, but there is little truth to that. Any value in insulation is the correct installation, which includes air space between the material and your main wall.
Pros of acrylic siding:
- Works well against pests and mold
- Quite versatile
Cons of acrylic siding:
- High degree of pollution
- Poor resistance to weather and fire
- Not easy to install and maintain
Cost: from 400 to 1000 rubles per square meter.
Service life: from 25 years
Fiber cement siding pros and cons
Fiber cement developed by James Hardy Industries over a hundred years ago. The original product made from cement and asbestos and modern manufacturing has replaced asbestos with healthier alternatives. Fiber cement board can molded to any style, even wood.
Pros of metal siding:
- High resistance to weathering
- Excellent anti-mildew and parasite performance, easy installation, and maintenance
- Durable and fairly versatile
- Various types and colors can select.
Cons of metal siding:
- Easily prone to dents and scratches from contact
- Poor paint quality can cause rust
- Higher cost than vinyl siding
Cost: 500 to 1000 rubles per square meter.